Saturday, June 7, 2008
Tom's Palette needs no introduction. This homegrown ice cream parlour has been widely featured in the media since it started some years ago. I've tried them a couple of times before I started this blog. Since I was nearby yesterday, I decided to pop in and take some photos.
The shop owners are extremely friendly and warm. They let you try as many flavours as you like before you decide on which one you want. That's the tough part though - deciding on flavours, as almost every one of them is irresistible. I tested these:
* Strawberry - more creamy than sweet, with chunks of real strawberries
* Tangerine - the tangerine fizz comes across with bits of sweetened peel
* Horlicks - really concentrated malty goodness, even normal Horlicks doesn't taste this good!
* Cherry Almond - strong hint of maraschino cherries with potent almond fragrance
* Chocolate - the most intense cocoa sensation, tempered by milky richness
* Salted Caramel Cheesecake - aaah, who can say no to salted caramel? And cheesecake seals the deal! Just look, it's the tub that's most empty!
They also had Apple Pie (with hints of cinnamon), Rum & Raisin, Ed's Tea, Black Sesame and Mango, which I didn't try. Previously they brought out flavours including Chrysanthemum, Wasabi Lime, Tangy Basil, Red Date & Longan, Butter Pecan, Oreo Cheese, and Lavender.
The folks at Tom's Palette experiment with different flavours each month, using as much natural ingredients as possible. They aim for similar richness and density as Italian gelato, but with only half the sugar as regular ice cream, and much less fat. Part of the cream is replaced with milk and they use only egg to emulsify the mixture. The ice-cream is handchurned and they only produce one tub per flavour each day.
Good quality ice cream, creative flavours, wonderful service and prices that are easy on the wallet. What else could you ask for? Hmm, maybe bigger premises and even more flavours (including your favourite ones to remain permanent?). Well, that just might be possible. They're renovating and expanding soon but it also means they'll be closed three weeks from June 9 (this coming Monday) to July 1! Go load up on takeaway packs to last you these few weeks!
100 Beach Road #01-25
Shaw Tower/Shaw Leisure Gallery
Mon-Thu: 11am - 8.30pm
Fri & Sat: 11am - 10.30pm
(Closed on Sundays)
© CAMEMBERU | All rights reserved.