Thursday, September 29, 2011
Tai Cheong Bakery
The legendary Tai Cheong egg tarts.
The one that draws queues like this (and I think this is on a less busy day).
The one that Chris Patton loves.
Well, I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. Maybe it's due to expectations caused by the hype, or the fact that I ate them cold. I hear they are better when eaten warm, right there on the spot. Guess I should try them again next time for a fairer estimate, but I can't help but feel there are plenty of egg tarts in Singapore that are almost as tasty, if not more.
They also have coconut tarts and other items.
This was pretty good. Then again, how can it not be? It's deep-fried dough coated with sugar.
Tai Cheong seems to have gone on an expansion spree. It now has 15 outlets throughout Hong Kong and Macau, but this is the original branch at Lyndhurst Terrace. I didn't know it then, but the Tao Heung group seems to have acquired the bakery, so that might explain it.
Also, I can't believe their egg tart recipe is publicly available! It's also on CNNgo's "behind the scenes" feature on Tai Cheong Bakery.
Update: The recipe, as expected, doesn't quite turn out the same kind of tarts. Check out The Little Teochew's experiment on it.
TAI CHEONG'S EGG TART RECIPE
Evaporated milk 2 teaspoons
Egg Custard Filling:
Evaporated milk 200ml
Pre-heat the baking oven to 300°C
1. Mix all pastry ingredients and knead it into a dough
2. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours, re-knead it before use
3. Roll out the dough and cut it to small dough balls, then press the balls into the tart shells.
4. Pour the egg custard filling into the shells. Bake it 5 minutes until the pastry turns gold brown, then bake for another 15 minutes at 150°C
Egg Custard Filling:
1. Dissolve the sugar in the boiling water, set it aside to cool down
2. Stir in the egg, evaporated milk with the cold sugar water
3. Sieve the mixture and refrigerate it for 30 minutes before pouring it into the shells with pastry on
TAI CHEONG BAKERY
35 Lyndhurst Terrace (main branch)
Tel: +852 544 3475
Posted 12:43 PM