Friday, September 30, 2011
Sweet Charity for NUH Kids Heart Fund
Twelve restaurants have come together for Sweet Charity for the whole of October 2011.
Order a signature dessert, and they'll donate S$5 to the NUH Kids Heart Fund, which helps subsidize surgical costs for financially needy kids with congenital heart disease (CHD).
I know that condition well because my older daughter Nadine had to undergo open-heart surgery at the age of three months. It can be the most heart-wrenching thing to go through.
The other thing I found out through her case is - there are so many kids who have CHD! It's stunning how packed the heart clinics are (at least at KKH). I'm sure among them there are people who would need financial assistance, and treatment cost is a real concern.
Anyway, here are the 12 participating restaurants, their locations, and what they feature:
- Cocotte (No. 2 Dickson Road, tel: 6298-1188): Traditional Basque Cake with various fillings
- The Dining Room at Tanjong Beach Club (120 Tanjong Beach Walk, Sentosa, tel: 6270-1355): Honey & Tea Parfait (Earl Grey cremeux, honey ice cream, house-made honeycomb, chocolate crisp); Hot Cinnamon Sugar Donuts with warm nutella fondue (brunch only)
- The Disgruntled Chef (26B Dempsey Road, tel: 6476-5305): Sticky Toffee Pudding with vanilla ice cream
- Epicurious (The Quayside, 60 Robertson Quay, tel: 6734-7720): Red Velvet Chocolate Cake
- Loof (331 North Bridge Road, Odeon Towers Extension Rooftop, #03-07, 6338-8035): The Gummiberry (gin, Cointreau, fresh forest berries, French meringue)
- OverEasy Bar and Diner (1 Fullerton Road, #01-06, One Fullerton, tel: 6423-0701): Donut Balls with warm chocolate fondue 2
- PS.Cafe at Ann Siang Hill Park (45 Ann Siang Road, #02-02, tel: 9797-0648): Toffee Nutty Carrot Cake
- PS.Cafe at Harding (28B Harding Road, tel: 9070-8782): Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake
- PS.Cafe at Palais (390 Orchard Road, Level 2 Palais Renaissance, tel: 9834-8232): Orangey Carrot Cake
- PS.Cafe at Paragon (290 Orchard Road, Level 3 Paragon, tel: 9297-7008): Blueberry Carrot Cake
- Torte (96 Waterloo Street, #01-07, tel: 6571-0197): Banana Chocolate Torte Muffins (box of eight)
- The White Rabbit (39C Harding Road, tel: 6473-9965): Crêpes Suzette flambéed tableside with Grand Marnier
If you order a whole signature carrot cake from PS.Cafe, 70% of the proceeds will go directly to the NUH Kids Heart Fund. Cocotte’s Basque Cake and Epicurious’ Red Velvet Chocolate Cake are also available for purchase whole, while Torte’s Banana Chocolate Torte Muffins (box of eight) are available for takeaway.
Make a reservation at any of the participating restaurants through www.chope.com.sg or order any desserts through www.chope.com.sg/sweetcharity and Chope will donate a dollar for each reservation or order.
You could also make direct donations to the heart fund, and receive income tax deductions of 2.5 times the donation value (if you are a Singapore resident). Nothing is too modest as every dollar counts. Call 6772 2980 or 6772 6909, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website.
Meanwhile, you can stay updated on the Sweet Charity Facebook page too.
Posted 2:08 AM