Oh this is big news! Seventeen hawkers have been given the Bib Gourmand 2016 award by the Michelin Guide Singapore. There are a total of 34 awardees in total; another 14 are restaurants and three are listed under "other food establishments" - I guess not quite hawker, not quite restaurant then.
The Bib Gourmand ratings are usually given out just a few days ahead of the guidebook release. To qualify for the rating, venues must offer a good value meal for under S$45.
Not surprisingly, the list includes well-known names like Tian Tian Chicken Rice, Balestier Hoover Road Rojak and Chey Sua Carrot Cake. But I'm glad to see young hawkerpreneurs like Fishball Story and A Noodle Story in there.
I love lists. I like to kepoh and see what other people judge as good. I actually appreciate it even more if they include something new instead of the usual overhyped and overexposed names. You know, some of the brands that have gone downhill expanding too fast or cashing in on their fame. Some names in here are headscratchers, but well, taste is subjective.
Anyway, there are some names I have not heard of in here, so I'm looking forward to discovering new stuff. I wish there weren't so many duplicate dishes though (do we really need three laksas? They could have added char kway teow, nasi lemak or bak chor mee).
Here are the list of awardees and their addresses (food trail time!):
Hawkers1. Claypot Laksa – #01-75 Alexandra Village Food Centre
2. A Noodle Story – #01-39 Amoy Street Food Centre
3. J2 Famous Crispy Curry Puff – #01-21 Amoy Street Food Centre
4. Hong Kee Beef Noodle – #01-42 Amoy Street Food Centre
5. Hoo Kee Rice Dumpling – #01-18 Amoy Street Food Centre
6. The Fishball Story – Timbre+, 73A Ayer Rajah Crescent, and 2 College Avenue West #02-01, Stephen Riady Center, University Town
7. Wedang (Indonesian food and satay) – #B1-28 Golden Mile Food Centre
8. Famous Sungei Road Trishaw (laksa) – #02-67 Hong Lim Market & Food Centre
9. Na Na Curry – 115 Bukit Merah View Market & Food Centre #01-48
10. Chey Sua Carrot Cake – 127 Toa Payoh West Market & Food Centre #02-30
11. Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice – #01-10/11 Maxwell Food Centre
12. Shi Hui Yuan (horfun noodle with chicken and duck) – #02-33 Mei Ling Market & Food Centre
13. Alliance Seafood – #01-27 Newton Food Centre
14. Tiong Bahru Hainanese Boneless Chicken Rice – #02-82 Tiong Bahru Market
15. Hong Heng Fried Sotong Prawn Mee – #02-01 Tiong Bahru Market
16. Balestier Road Hoover Rojak – #01-06 Whampoa Market Place
17. Liang Zhao Ji (soy duck) – #01-07 Whampoa Market Place
1. Alaturka (Turkish) – 16 Bussorah Street
2. Hjh Maimunah (Malaysian) – 11-15 Jalan Pisang
3. Ka Soh (Singaporean) – 2 College Road
4. Kok Sen (zi char) – 30 Keong Saik Road
5. Lagnaa (Indian) – 6 Upper Dickson Road, Little India
6. New Ubin Seafood – Block 27 Sin Ming Road #01-174, Sin Ming Industrial Estate Sector A
7. Peony Jade at Keppel Club (Cantonese) – 10 Bukit Chermin Rd
8. Shish Mahal (Indian) – 29 Albert Street
9. Song Fa Bak Kut Teh – 11 New Bridge Rd
10. 328 Katong Laksa – 53 East Coast Road
11. True Blue Cuisine (Peranakan) – 47/49 Armenian Street
12. Whole Earth (vegetarian) – 76 Peck Seah Street
13. Yhingthai Palace (Thai) – 36 Purvis Street #01-04
14. Zaffron Kitchen (Indian) – 135/137 East Coast Road
1. Bismallah Biryani – 50 Dunlop Road
Other Street Food Establishments
2. JB Ah Meng Kitchen (Cantonese) – 2 Lorong 23 Geylang
3. Sin Huat Eating House (crab bee hoon/rice noodle) – 659/661 Geylang Road
Links go to my reviews showing photos of the food. I have some I have not posted, and will add more as I go. Photo above is of Kok Sen Restaurant.