Would you agree with this list of 20 things not to miss in Bangkok? Well, some look like first-timer favourites although there are a few I have not heard of before. But I'm not familiar with Bangkok, having visited less than three times in my entire life (I guess when something is nearby, you explore it even less). Still it is one of Southeast Asia’s most enigmatic cities, embracing both the traditional and modern in one destination.
This list is shared by the Banyan Tree Bangkok - the city's only five-star all-suite hotel - as part of their 20th anniversary celebrations. They also offer an exclusive holiday package that will run until 22nd December, inclusive of limousine transfers, complimentary cocktails, spa discounts and more (see end of post for details). I hear the spa is legendary; I hope I can go someday!
History lessons1. Start with a visit to The Grand Palace, undoubtedly one of the city’s most famous landmarks.
2. The expansive complex not only includes the former residence of the Thai monarch, but is also home to Wat Phra Kaew, the Temple of the revered Emerald Buddha.
3. The Golden Mountain (“Phu Khao Thong”) is also well worth a visit. As one of the tallest structures in Bangkok, it allows for some of the most stunning panoramic views of the city.
4. The Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall brings to life the story of Thailand’s rich history through a combination of multimedia and interactive displays.
5. Jim Thompson’s house and its lovely garden-enclosed compound featuring an arts centre, souvenir boutique, and traditional teak houses reflective of unique Thai architecture.
6. Thai Cooking Classes have also become a must. Learn to prepare popular dishes such as Tom Yum Goong, Som Tum and Gaend Kiew Whan Gai with lessons conducted at Banyan Tree Bangkok.
Shop till you drop7. Siam Square shopping district is the central shopping area for both locals and travellers alike. Here you will find everything, from renowned high-end brands to boutiques of independent traders.
8. For a distinctive shopping experience, explore the Train Night Market Ratchada - Talad Nud Rod Fai. It sets itself apart from other bazaars by touting only the hippest and trendiest wares at competitive prices.
9. Or stick to the tried and tested route with a visit to the famous Chatuchak weekend market boasting more than 8,000 market stalls.
10. Travellers will find no shortage of inexpensive and delightful Thai foods along the streets of Bangkok. One of the most iconic street food locations is Chinatown - Yaowarat which offers a wide array of authentic Thai hawker fare.
11. For a unique gastronomic experience, head to Apsara Cruise (first photo above), a vintage-style rice barge that sails along the majestic Chao Praya. Aboard the vessel, you will be treated to an exclusive selection of Royal Thai cuisine, courtesy of Banyan Tree Bangkok.
12. Saphan Leung - Yellow Bridge is also famous for its Anaharn Tham Suan (made-to-order) stalls selling noodle and seafood dishes.
13. Let Vertigo and Moon Bar, located on the 61st floor of Banyan tree Bangkok, awe you with a unique alfresco dining experience and stunning panoramic views of the urban landscape.
14. Immerse yourself in the action of the most popular sports in Thailand -Kickboxing or Muay Thai, by catching a live match or two in any of the stadiums littered throughout the country.
Live like a local
15. Take a Longtail Boat Canal Klong Tour and explore the ancient waterways of Bangkok and the communities that still live along them.
16. When day turns into night, ride a Tuk-Tuk or Sam Lor (three-wheeled taxis) to explore the buzzing metropolis.
18. Take a stroll around Lumpini Park, a green oasis in the middle of the city.
19. Visit Baan Silapin - Artist’s House, a two-hundred-year old dwelling that serves as a great escape from the hustle and bustle.
20. Book with Banyan Tree Bangkok and enjoy the lavish offerings of the 20th Anniversary Celebrations Package.
20th Anniversary Celebrations Package
The 20th Anniversary Celebrations Package includes a stay in the Serenity Club category, where guests will be able to enjoy a multitude of benefits such as Club Lounge access, complimentary breakfast buffet, free-flow refreshments, a stylish limousine airport transfer, 30% off additional spa treatments and complimentary cocktail at Bangkok’s newest sky-high cosmopolitan bar, Vertigo TOO. Guests can also unwind with an exclusive spa treatment, a 90-minute massage session for 2 when booking directly with Banyan Tree Bangkok.
*Terms & Conditions:
· Rates for Serenity Club starts from THB 8,896++ and rates for One-Bedroom Suite starts from THB 9,896++.
· This offer is valid for stays from 01 March 2016 until 22 December 2016.
· A minimum stay of 2 consecutive nights is required for this offer.
· This offer cannot be combined with other promotions and gift certificates.
· Other conditions may apply, please contact hotel reservation for further information.
· Quote EDM Package for 90-minute message session for 2
· Guests can enjoy 30% off additional spa treatments but this offer excludes beauty treatments
BANYAN TREE BANGKOK
21/100 South Sathon Road
Bangkok 10120, Thailand
Tel: +66 (0) 2679 1200