Chef-educator Robert Danhi's free workshop, organised by Sunkist, happens this Sunday (10 March, 4-6pm) at ToTT. No need for registration - just come on by (first 80 guests get a goodie bag too)!
We are also giving away five sets of great prizes in a easy contest here below. Collect them at the event itself!
I'm certainly looking forward to meeting Robert himself - an amazing guy who is truly in love with Southeast Asian cuisine. See my previous post.
He will be showcasing some exclusive creations:
-- Lemon-Coriander Salsa with Seared Scallops
-- Sparkling California Lemonade
-- Sunkist Orange & Yogurt Parfait with Toasted Coconut
Here's one of the recipes. Sounds yummy already!
Sunkist Orange, Roasted Duck and Coriander Lettuce CupsINGREDIENTS:
Thai Chili paste in Soya Bean Oil “Nahm Prik Pow” 1 Tbsp.
Lime juice 2 Tbsp.
Fish sauce 1 tsp.
Minced lemongrass 1 Tbsp.
Minced ginger 1 Tbsp.
Small diced Sunkist® Oranges (2 oranges)
Sliced shallots ¼ cup
Thinly sliced cucumbers ¾ cup
Sliced roasted duck – skin on breast, skin removed from leg and thigh - ½ duck (about 1 cup boneless meat)
Roughly chopped fresh coriander ½ cup
20 Small lettuce leaves, such as Butter or Romaine (2 heads)
Chopped roasted peanuts ½ cup
1. Whisk together chili paste, lime juice, fish sauce, lemongrass and ginger until smooth.
2. Add Sunkist® oranges, shallots, cucumbers, duck and coriander and fold gently until well mixed.
3. Fill lettuce cups with 2 tablespoons of orange mixture. Garnish with chopped peanuts.
This recipe was created exclusively for Sunkist by Chef Robert Danhi
It's always a great idea to add some fruits to our dishes - you get fruity fragrance, natural layers of sweet and tart, plus vitamins, antioxidants and fibre!
Top 10 Facts about Citrus Fruits
- Grapefruit can help suppress appetite.
- Flavonoids in fruits like grapefruit may protect the heart by reducing inflammation in the arteries.
- Cara Caras (photo above) are called "The Power Orange" because they provide 150% of the vitamin C an average person needs each day. They also contain lots of vitamin A, folate, fiber, and lycopene.
- Cara Caras have pink flesh inside, and a rich, floral aroma with cranberry/cherry undertones and a vanilla flavour finish.
- As a special hybrid of navel oranges, Cara Caras are seedless and easy to peel.
- One navel orange gives all the vitamin C an average person needs a day.
- At only 80 calories, oranges are nutritious and filling, thanks to their fibre and water content.
- Just one ounce (two tablespoons) of fresh lemon juice fulfils 20% of your daily vitamin C requirement.
- Adding fresh lemon juice to your tea helps increase absorption of antioxidants.
- All these fruits are fat-free, sodium-free and cholesterol free.
Contest - Giveaway!Yes, we're giving away here five sets of goodies from Sunkist, Chef Danhi and ToTT.
Chef Danhi cookbooks
Jamie Oliver peeler
Cocktail mixing set from ToTT
Oranges and lemons
How to enter:
1. Tell me in a comment below your favourite dish/drink/cocktail that uses oranges, grapefruit or other citrus fruits.
2. Email me (camemberu at gmail dotcom) your contact details (with the subject "Sunkist"), so I can arrange to pass you the prize at the Sunkist-Chef Danhi event at ToTT, if you are a winner.
3. (optional) Share this post on Facebook for an extra chance at winning. I will be able to track shares on the Facebook fanpage. You can also like it, if you like.
Winners will be chosen via random draw, so everyone has a fair chance. Closing date is noon, Sunday, 10 March 2013. I will contact winners via phone/email immediately after that, to meet you at the 4-6pm event.
So easy, right? Jump in, there's nothing to lose. I hope to see you at Chef Danhi's event!